Conjunction


Conjunction
I.                    Meanings:
both… and, not only … but also, neither … nor, either … or
both … and (vừa … vừa …), not only … but also …  ( những … mà còn …), neither … nor … (không … mà cũng không), either … or … (hoặc … hoặc …) dung để kết nối hai từ/ cụm từ đồng loại (danh từ, tính từ, trạng từ, chủ ngữ hoặc các cụm từ trạng ngữ …) với nhau.
1.       Both … and …
Ex:
Different Subjects
Linda is a student. Peter is a student.
Both Linda and Peter are students.
I can play football. My brother can play football.
Both my brother and I can play football.
Different verbs
Peter sings well. He dances beautifully.
Peter both sings well and dances beautifully
Different objects (nouns)
Susan bought a new book. She bought a new computer.
Susan bought both a new book and a new computer.
Different adverbs of place
We can play football in the garden. We can play it in the stadium
We can both play football both in the garden and in the stadium.
2.       Not only … but also:
3.        Either … or … (hoặc … hoặc …)
His name is Robert, or his name is Richard
His name is either Robert  or Richard.
You are wrong, or I am wrong
Either you or I am wrong
He may be in the bedroom or he is in the kitchen.
He may be either in the bedroom or in the kitchen.
4.       Neither … nor …
He can’t speak English. He can’t speak French.
He can speak neither English nor French.
She didn’t go camping. She didn’t stay at home.
She neither went camping nor stayed at home
Mary didn’t go camping. I didn’t go camping
Neither Mary nor I went camping
5.       Note
-          Để lặp lại một hành động giống với một mệnh đề khẳng định trước đó ta có thể dung các cách sau
She bought a new computer. I bought a new computer, too.
                                                                So did I
Mary was at home yesterday. I was at home yesterday, too.
                                                                So was I
Tim can speak English well. Peter can speak English well, too.
                                                                So can Peter
S1 + V … S+ V …, too.
Hoặc: S1 + V …. So + aux + S2.
·         Aux phải tương đồng với động từ trong mệnh đề đứng trước.

-          Để lặp lại một hành động giống với mệnh đề phủ định trước đó, ta có thể dung các cách sau
She didn’t go camping last weekend. I didn’t go camping last weekend, too.
                                                                                Neither did I.
                                                                                I didn’t go, either
My father doesn’t like pop music. My mother doesn’t like it, too.
                                                                       Neither does my mother.
                                                                       My mother doesn’t like, either.
S + aux +not + V …. S + aux + V …, too.
                                                S + aux + V …, either.
                                                Neither + aux + S
·         Aux phải tương đồng với động từ trong mệnh đề đứng trước.

-          Sự hòa hợp của động từ trong both … and …; not only … but also …; either … or …; neither … nor .
·         Both + S1  and + S2 + V(plural)
She is lazy. I am lazy, too.
à Both she and I are lazy.
·        

Cuong hasn’t gone to Paris. I haven’t gone to Paris
Neither Cuong nor I have gone to Paris.
His parents aren’t at home. He isn’t, either.
Neither his parents nor he is at home.
-          Đảo ngữ  khi nhấn mạnh cả mệnh đề đối với neither … nor …, not only … but also …
She didn’t hear them sing. She didn’t see them dance
Neither did she hear them sing nor did she see them dance.
Peter can’t speak Vietnamese, and he can’t speak French.
Neither can Peter speak Vietnamese nor can he speak French

Neither + aux + S + V …, nor aux + S + V …

She sings wonderfully, and she dances beautifully.
Not only does she sing wonderfully but she also dances beautifully.
Mary bought a new computer, and she bought a new camera.
Not only did she buy a new computer but she also bought a new camera.
Not only + aux + S + V …, but S also + V …
·         Also đứng trước động từ thường và đứng sau động từ bemodal verbs
She is beautiful. And she is kind
Not only is she beautiful but she is also kind.

Không có nhận xét nào:

Đăng nhận xét